I recently attended an Idaho Technology Council meeting at the Stueckle Sky Center at Boise State University. It was a gorgeous morning to watch the view of a bustling city tucked next to the mountains and listen to some great speakers. One of those speakers was Matt Oppenheimer the co-founder and CEO of Remitly.Matt’s talk focussed on passing along advice toentrepreneurs. While I can certainly see the application of his talk to his intended audience I can also see there was a more general application for people in lots of different situations. Here’s his five points:
- Create a genuine vision (find something that pisses you off).
- Determine the kind/type of capital to raise.
- Recruit a great team with diverse skills.
- Perseverance is key. Headlines and fundraising events look great but are hard. Be rational and take good feedback.
- Focus or fail–actually build what you promised.
Matt was a great speaker. Not only did his message resonate beyond his intended audience, but he delivered it with clarity and conviction. I strongly encourage folks to check out his project Remitly and keep an on eye this passionate entrepreneur.